Tuesday 7 April 2020

20mm WW2 German Transport

I intended painting these up to take part in the monthly group build for March on the Battlegroup Facebook page. Unfortunately my painting mojo didn't kick in early enough for me to get them finished in time but here they are now.  There are a pair of Pegasus Hobbies 'German Army Trucks' and an RSO from the Plastic Soldier Company.  The canopies of all 3 vehicles have not been fixed in place so that I have options for how I use them.




The Trucks were undercoated with Vallejo Grey primer from the can, with the chassis & cab interior kept separate from the cab body & rear cargo area.  At this point I gave everything a spray coat of AK DunkelGelb (AK1023) and once this was dry I painted the bench seat a leatherlike brown and gave the interior a quick wash of Army Painter Strong Tone.  The tyres were painted dark grey, the two halves were glued together and then I gave the whole vehicle an Army Painter Soft Tone wash. 


The AK comes out quite light, what I might consider to be more along the lines of something that the Afrika Korps might have used in North Africa but the wash toned it down somewhat giving me a yellow I am happy with for mid/late war use.  Once this had all been drybrushed with a light tone it gave me something I am pretty happy with for the vehicle itself.  The canopies were just given a dark tone wash and dry brush of light grey - job done.  At this point I was toying with trying some chipping and took a look at a few Youtube turorials with gave me the basics.  I used a dark brown (Vallejo 70.822, SS Camouflage Black Brown) with a bit of foam to dab on chips mainly in areas that might see some heavy wear but also across the rest of the vehicle.  I tried not to get too heavy handed and, for a first attempt, don't think I have done a bad job.  The chipping could have been enhanced with some light lines under some of the larger chipped areas, but my sausage fingers were not up to the task - I tried but found I was a bit heavy handed, so gave up.  I will give it another go next time I paint vehicles.
 

The RSO was started some time back with a sprayed light grey undercoat and then a brushed on watered down coat of Vallejo Dunkelgelb - the canopy was also painted a dark grey (not sure which shade).  I wasn't too happy with the colour at this point so it was put to one side until I decided to have another go at it the other day.  Once I dragged it back out, it was given a quick spray of Army Painter Late War German Dunkelgelb, which I was much happier with, then a wash with Mid Tone and drybrush with something I mixed up from my paint collection as the paints I have were either too dark or too light to my eyes.

The tracks were painted a mid grey (Vallejo Med Sea Grey I think), which in hindsight should have been darker, then washed with a rust wash and drybrushed with the same mid grey they had initially been coated in.   Not bad, but could do better next time.  The canopy had previously been painted a dark grey - not quite as dark as German grey as I found out when I tried to use it to correct some heavy handed dry brushing which then showed up a lot darker than the rest.  Lesson learnt, to keep a record of what paints have been used for a model so that I can use it at a later date, or paint the model in one hit so that I don't need to remember what has been used.

At  this point the vehicle could have gone on the table, but as I was trying my hand at chipping on the 2 Trucks above I got busy on the RSO too.  I was a bit lighter with the chips on this vehicle which I think worked well.  The windscreen & other windows had been painted Vallejo London Grey but I wanted to try another first for me, to transition a lighter grey over the London grey, from darker at the bottom to lighter at the top, using a glazing technique on a wet palette.  While the transitions were not as seamless as they possibly could have been they worked and gave a nice effect of more light reflecting off of the top of the glass.  Unfortunately the pictures don't show this too welll.  I also did 2 diagonal stripes on the 2 windscreens and 1 on each of the door windows to show a bit of glare.

The one problem I had with this was that I found the grey was too light a colour on the white papeer of the wet palette and it was difficult to see it once it had been diluted down to a glaze. 

Once finished, all of the vehicles look pretty good to my eyes and I hope to get them onto the gaming table sometime soon.  I have used 2 techniques for the first time, chipping & glazing, both with reasonable success giving me confidence to try them again.  

As my last 4 posts have all been 20mm I am going to go in a different direction for the next one, just not sure what yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Battle for the Narrow Seas

After my last post which involved painting up some merchantmen for coastal naval battles I thought I would dig out the rest of my models ...