Tuesday 31 March 2020

20mm British Vehicles

I can't remember where I heard about 'Any Scale Models' but once I looked at their website I had to put in an order.  The resulting package has sat in its box for some time and only recently seen the light of day.  Part of that order was some British Vehicles in 20mm which I will mention here.  

First off were some trucks listed as Bedford MWD 15 Cwt.  These come in 4 resin pieces and a metal bumper/nudge bar which comes fitted to the front bumper but not held in place - this just needs a dab or 2 of super glue to secure it.  The four pieces, as seen in the picture, are cab, rear cargo area, rear load (now identified as fuel tanks & steps to go under the cab & rear body) & canopy.  It seems a little odd having the cab and rear cargo area separate, but this is probably down to how they are moulded and as I have no idea what this involves I will leave it there.  The rear cargo area has bench seats down both sides which, with the canopy or rear load, gives you three options when making the model.  It would look great with a few seated figures in place, but if that doesn't take your fancy the rear load could be put in to look like it is carrying stores or ammunition to the front line but ultimately it would look good with just the canopy in place.  I intend to leave them without the canopy glued in place so that I can change how they are used depending on how I want them to look.  My aim is to glue some plastic card on the bottom of the canopy that fits inside the rear cargo area so that it can be put in place and (hopefully) stay there, but to also paint the cargo load or put in a sabot with seated figures.  This way I can chop and change at my whim.  The first part of this process is to get the trucks made and painted then, at some point in the not too distant future, I will get the cargo loads & canopies done.  Futher down the line will be the sabots - if I get round to it.  


Edit 9th Apr 2020: Got a message from 'Stevi' informing me that what I thought was a 'load' for the rear cargo area was in fact fuel tanks and steps that went under the cab & body to provide a solid fit when gluing the parts together.  On looking at the website and one of the vehicles the message was 100% correct.  Many thanks Stevi.  I will try to fit this in place for the vehicles I have already put together but sanding this area flat now that the two pieces are glued might be a bit too much, but will make sure I fit it for the 4 remaining vehicles I havent started yet.

 Here are 3 of the trucks in their constituent parts ready for filing, gluing & priming.


Initial filing, gluing and priming complete.   



Next up are 2 Humber Heavy Utility cars which I got to use as Staff Cars.  These, as with the 15 Cwt trucks, come with the cab/bonnet and rear as separate pieces.  When putting these together there was a small, but noticable, overlap on both sides of the rear end when married up with the cab/bonnet.  I initially thought this could be sanded down, but quickly realised I was removing detail which would be difficult to put back.  That said, the overlap is minimal and most gamers probably won't mind this.  Having primed them there is a bit of a noticeable gap over the roof which I may fill before moving on with the painting.  However, I may ignore this and just get on with painting them.


Last up for this post are a couple of Humber Staff Cars with cut down top.  Again, they come in two pieces, front seats/bonnet and rear/cargo.  These are nice little models with lots of crates, boxes, tarps etc. in the rear.  I will admit to making a bit of a booboo with these as I bought them to use in Normandy etc. without realising they were intended for North Africa (NA).  As things stand I don't game NA much, but I may paint them up for this theatre anyway to add to my small, but growing, collection.  Although, I still feel the need to use them in NWE so may paint them green.  Hmmmm.  Decisions, decisions.  Keep an eye on the blog to see which way the wind blows.......



These are nice models but there are some minor issues to note.  There are some noticable air bubbles in the models, but nothing that a little filler, and time, wont sort out.  It is not easy to get the front & rear halves of the cars to fit together nicely as both sides are flat, there are no male or female joints to make joining them easier, which may account for the overlap noted above and this is more noticeable in the open topped car.  The cargo loads are all identical with all of the crates on one side, so it have been nice to make couple of variations to give a little variation. On 2 of the cars the rear wheel arch was damaged and, as this is quite thin, almost impossible to repair.  However, you could put this down to field damage through use!?  These are not criticisms as such, as resin is fragile, moulds deteriorate over time & post can be hard on delicate parts of a model.  

All in all, I like what Any Scale Models has to offer and feel that the observations above are not anything that the majority of wargamers can't rectify easily.  I have more of their models to make, and will be buying more from them in the future, all of which I intend to post on here.

2 comments:

  1. I believe that the "load" that comes with the 15 cwt is actually fuel tanks and steps to be glued under the cab and body to provide a solid base.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well there you go, I didn't realise that. Thanks for letting me know. On looking back at the website, and one of the vehicles, I can see what you mean although the bottom of the cab area and body would take a good bit of sanding to get it to fit.

    ReplyDelete

Battle for the Narrow Seas

After my last post which involved painting up some merchantmen for coastal naval battles I thought I would dig out the rest of my models ...